Top 10 Romantic Destinations: A Valentine’s Day Special
Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, and people are rushing about to grab a last minute card, box of chocolates or bouquet of flowers. How about a romantic destination instead? Perhaps Paris, the city of love, is just a wee bit out of reach for the last minute romantic gesture, but there are plenty more State-side locations that fit the bill. So here comes our Valentine’s Day Special:
The Top 10 Romantic Destinations:
- Asheville, North Carolina. Why should Parisians have all the fun? Wine and dine your sweetie in the elegance of the Biltmore Inn in the artsy Appalachian foothill town of Ashville. The Biltmore Estate provides plenty of old world charm, as does the neighboring Biltmore village. Great for those Downton Abbey fans! For the more adventuresome, try horseback riding on the estate or rafting the French Broad River.
- Grand Canyon, Arizona. So you can’t make the Orient Express, but how about the scenic ride from Williams, Arizona to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? Plan to stay at the Grand Canyon hotel in Williams and add a night in the canyon at the Maswik Lodge. Check out: www.thetrain.com for more details.
- New Orleans, Louisiana. Now that the Mardi Gras mayhem is over, this sultry southern city is a great place to relax. Incredible food, history and music and vampire stories à la Anne Rice- the perfect setting for romance. Explore the French Market, eat beignets on Jackson Square and take a riverboat on historic Natchez steamboat down the Mississippi.
- Savannah, Georgia. Rich with culture, this is another favorite southern city. Walk hand and hand along the cobblestoned river front, dine where pirates roamed and be sure to spend a day at the beach on nearby Tybee Island.
- Niagara Falls, New York. How many people have gotten engaged in this scenic spot? Hop over the bridge to the Canadian side of the falls and check out the romantic little town of Niagara-on-the-lake. Wineries, parks and scenic overlooks. Great for those long walks and hand-holding moments.
- Key West, Florida. Key West has gotten the rap for being the party-town, but there is something utterly romantic about watching the sun set at the southern most point in the continental United States! Watch the sun set. Enjoy the festivities of Mallory Square. Explore Fort Taylor Zachary. And fishing, lots of excellent fishing.
- Kauai, Hawaii. Volcanoes, waterfalls, beaches, beautiful flowers. In Hawaii you hit the romantic jackpot. A favorite honeymoon destination, Hawaii is the epitome of romance. Break open that champagne and take a barefoot walk along the beach.
- Napa Valley, California. lush rolling hills, vineyards, wine. Napa Valley is to America what Tuscany is to Italy. Plan a wine tasting tour. Hot air balloon rides over the countryside for the more adventures. Bring a picnic! (And wine, of course, don’t forget the wine!)
- Gatlinburg Tennessee. The natives are sweet and the pancakes sweeter. This romantic destination is for the outdoorsy types. Plan hikes through the Smokies at the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and a romantic ride for two on the Gatlinburg Ski-lift (skiing back down is optional). There’s even a cute little church on the main drag in case you need to say : “I do!”
- Apalachicola, Florida. Okay, I’m sneaking this tiny town onto my list. Fantastic oyster bars (try Up the Creek) with great views. Spend a romantic day on the white sandy beaches of nearby St. George Island and catch the Gulf Coast sunset at Indian Pass.
Like lists? Try These Posts:
- Top 10 Things to Do in St. Augustine
- Top 10 Things to Do in Pigeon Forge
- Gatlinburg Top 5
- 5 Things You Must do on Amelia Island
- Top 5 Places to Get Your Inner Pirate On
- Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park