Welcome to The Adventures of Mom
Over 7 years ago I started the Adventures of Mom Blog. I used to tell the kids stories of my backpacking-around-the-world adventures as their bedtime stories, and thus the ‘Adventures of Mom’ name was born, and then we moved to a new town. I was a SAHM with two little tykes and I didn’t know a soul. I used our lack of yard as a good excuse to explore our new environment, from the local parks and children’s museums to the natural springs and gardens. I started writing on-line to let fellow moms ( and dads) know about these incredible places and resources around us- (including where the nearest toilets were because that can be a top priority!) and focusing on good clean family fun.
Though the kids are long out of diapers, I’ve continued to share our adventures to make traveling to a new place a little bit easier for families, because life with kids is not always easy, but with a little foreknowledge, it can at least be a little smoother.
How can I use this website?
- Check out the family travel and city guides for ways to plan your next escape.
- Use the educational resources to help you and your kids learn a new skill.
- Survive the family holidays with the holiday guides.
- Subscribe to the newsletter for the latest adventures.
- Any questions on travel/Florida/Georgia/family/ even blogging? Let’s connect on Facebook! Join the Adventures of Mom page and drop me a line (or DM).
About the Resource Guides
Located at the top of each page, this drop down menu gives you a detailed list of places to explore. These guides are updated, so check back on the area of your interest:
- Our Family Travel Guides are mainly based on the Southeastern United States. This is free content, so enjoy! We love State Parks, National Parks and lots of swimming. There are handy insider tips to local attractions in these guides as well. Feel free to use them, share them (just be sure to give Adventures of Mom credit) and if you have any family travel tips of your own, feel free to leave a comment.
- River Tubing Guide to the Southeast– Part One
- River Tubing Guide to the Southeast -Part Two
- Family Spring Break Escapes-Cool Coastal Edition
- Family Spring Break Escapes – Inside Florida
- Family Hikes in the Southeast
- Family Friendly Destinations in the Southeast
Our City Guides are run downs of places to go, stay and eat.
- Outdoor Adventures in High Springs
- Insider Guide to Crystal River
- St. Augustine for Families
- The Family Guide to Helen, Georgia
Our Education Resource Guides are filled with ideas to draw your kids (and your own) interest into the world around them. From cooking to learning new languages, and even finding great reading series. Though not travel, these are adventures in themselves. These contain handy links and further resources to help expand your knowledge on the subject.
Our Family Holiday Guides come out for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween & Easter, packed with ideas and tips to help you survive and thrive through the holidays with your family. You can subscribe to our newsletter to catch those in your in-box!
Okay, so not ALL of our adventures make it to the website- we are one year running on The Adventures of Mom YouTube Channel. Check out the backwaters of the Withlacoochee, Spring Hunting at Ginnie Springs and more. Subscribe to the Adventures of Mom YouTube Channel for some exclusive adventures.
Daily Dose of Inspiration
Inspirational images and words created to give you a little boost of cheer. These tend to appear mid-week and follow a theme, from inspirational quotes to How to Live an Extraordinary Life tips. All images are original and taken by yours truly (unless otherwise noted).
A few times a year an Adventures of Mom Special Edition post is released. This usually coincides with a holiday or a school break and contains a myriad of useful information and links. Keep a watch out for these. They are very handy!
Links at the Bottom of Posts
The links at the bottoms of each post are merely recommendations for similar adventures on this website, so feel free to check them out.
To get you started, let’s learn a bit about you:
What type of adventures interest you?
If staying clean is a top priority for you and your family, check these out:
- Coming of Age at Kennedy Space Center
- Visiting the Florida Museum of Natural History
- Rollercoaster Thrills at Busch Gardens (Florida)
- Exploring Homosassa Springs State Park
If you don’t mind smelling a little fishy, start here:
- Angling for Adventure
- Canoeing on the Withlacoochee
- New Smyrna Fishing Charter Adventure
- Kayaking on Florida’s Rainbow River
If the kids swim like fish already, start here:
- Snorkeling on the Gulf Coast
- Exploring Juniper Springs
- Florida Spring Hunting
- Family Adventures on the Chassahowitzka River
If you are in the mood for an epic adventure, try this:
- Journey to the Edge of the World
- Kayaking Juniper Run: Florida’s Water Obstacle Course
- Paddling with Monkeys on the Silver River
- Hiking with Gators on La Chua Trail
- Zipping Across Canyons
If long sandy beaches are more your style, try these:
- Exploring Florida’s Gulf Coast- with Kids
- Anastasia Island: St. Augustine’s Best Beach
- Canaveral National Seashore
If you just want to escape from it all, check out these:
- Exploring Shell Island
- Stranded on the Withlacoochee River
- Adventures on the Waccasassa River
- Paradise Found: Blue Springs
If you want to know everything about a place before you go, these might help you:
- Top Ten Reasons to Visit Pigeon Forge
- St. Augustine’s Top Ten
- Top Eleven Family Fun Things to do in Tampa
- 5 Things You Must do in Gatlinburg
- Amelia Island Top 5
Prefer a land adventure?
- Hiking Raven Cliffs Trail
- Hiking Black Bear Wilderness
- 10 Reasons to Visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
If you need a deeper knowledge of things, you might like:
Where will your next adventures take you?
Adventures of Mom on Social Media:
Follow the adventures!